1938 Humber

Morris C8

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks ferret1958, photo of Humber near Arnhem taken on the race to the bridge in 2008 this year we just about got back 2010, needed a lot of water to drink and the oil pressure was down. She has been in a few films. The US army [landlease] used some pre war [split screen] humbers and wartime Humbers as staff cars. This car was taken by the British goverment at the start of the war and given back in 1946 to the owner. It was Blue during the war, that was its original colour when new in 1938. painted green in the 1970s for film work . There is a lot of history with this car .

DSCN1729.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My Dad bought a set of NOS front inside door handles, as we had only one that was broken and one missing. They came in there original box, its taken 2 years to find some. once fitted we can now wind up & down the front windows the engine is now in bits at the workshop that we sent it too.

door handles.jpg

• 3 months later...

At last we got the eng back after a rebuild. New pistons & rings made to order [6]. cylinder head skimmed. Valves reground. bearings redone + camshaft. conrods redone+ other bits done. With a bit of pushing lifting and a lot of help it went in OK just. Next thing to do is get the nuts and bolts that we put in a box and hoses fitted + the new carb fitted.

humber eng.march 2011   work don.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

eng humber 2011.jpg

Guest jcpdw

looks very good keith. :wow:

I can't wait to see it on the road again, and catch a lift again in this beautifull humber.

keep up the good work. :dancinggirls:

cheers jaap

:captain:

At the work shop where we had the eng redone. strip down. We had all new core plugs fitted as one was weeping water, of course that one was on the back of the block, so you would have had to take the engine out to put a new one in as the bulkhead was so close to the engine.

DSCI0017.jpg

DSCI0021.jpg

DSCI0022.jpg

humber.jpg

DSCI0018.jpg

DSCI0023.jpg

Edited by Morris C8
more info

• 1 month later...

Well the Humber is running very good, with the eng done + new old stock carb and a Respray, she will last a long time and give much more years of fun. After turning the starting handle for 5 mins to get the petrol & oil though the eng , then at a press of the button she started first time, fine tuned the carb and timeing when she was running. Thanks for to my Dad [85] for all the hard work and some mates help. All we need to do now is run it in, when the Humber was new it would do 80 MPH, but we will keep the speed down.

humber car side 2011.jpg

humber car 2011.jpg

humber car rear 2011.jpg

I have found a similar aged civillian Humber in need of a carburettor. Has your contact still got another spare.

Jon

Hi,

This is the guys email chipmork@btconnect.com He has about 3 left they were £300 each that what we paid for the one we bought. his number 08450614477. He has most carbs that were made and carb kits. [ We do not work for him or know him]

Looks great! Can I ask who's paint you used and what shade? I have a Vauxhall to paint as a staff car. Cheers.

Hi,

We had the paint made up from an original part from a WW2 truck to get a match. WE just went into a DIY store and they mixed it up from a white base paint.

Good idea! What sort of paint is it and brushed or sprayed? Looks really nice!

you can spray it, use a small roller & brush it. The paint is at my dads . next time i go there i will let you know. We added thinners as well to spray it. some others in the club used it as well on there vehs.